Drug Lawyer San Francisco CA
A drug lawyer San Francisco CA residents trust from Hallinan Law Firm understands how scary it can be to face a drug-related conviction. A defense lawyer is someone who serves as your protector, guide, and confidant. Defense lawyers are provided for those who cannot afford one, however, these lawyers are often so overwhelmed with more cases than they can properly handle. This means the lawyer appointed to you may not be able to give your case the focus it requires.
If you aren’t sure whether hiring a lawyer is within your means, we are happy to offer a free initial consultation so you can learn more. If you or a loved one was recently arrested for a drug-related offense, we encourage you to call Hallinan Law Firm for immediate guidance as to how to protect your best interests.
How Do I Know If I Need A Criminal Lawyer?
Felonies and misdemeanors can wind up with prison sentences, therefore you’ll want to consult a criminal defense lawyer if you are charged with any of the following:
- Petty theft
- Public intoxication
- Simple assault
- Disorderly conduct
- Reckless driving
- Possession of marijuana
- First-time possession of certain other drugs
While misdemeanors are usually less than felonies, the time can still seem just as long, especially if you have a family that you’re caring for. Reach out to a drug lawyer San Francisco CA to get help with your case.
- Aggravated assault and/or battery
- Various forms of fraud
- Distributing drugs or intent to distribute
- Possession of drugs
- Grand larceny and grand theft
Felonies can be lengthy when it comes to doing time, but a good drug lawyer in San Francisco CA can help you get less time than you were originally supposed too.
What To Expect While Working With a Criminal Lawyer
Well, prior to meeting your lawyer, consider the qualities you’re after in a lawyer that’s going to defend you in court. You want somebody with:
- Experiencing handling drug cases with similar charges to yours.
- Strategies for handling your case to get you the best results.
- Good advice as well as sound judgement.
- A reasonable legal fee.
Your first meeting with your lawyer, you should arrive prepared. This will make things go more smoothly, so show up with these documents:
- You will need to bring any paperwork that’s from court, which details your charges and your next court appearance.
- Your bail papers.
- The police report, if you have it.
- Any other paperwork that the police gave to you.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re facing state charges or federal ones, some lawyers may ask for a questionnaire prior to the first meeting. The lawyer may find it helpful as well, if you give them a list of everyone that’s connected to the case.
In this list you should include:
- Other defendants
They need to have as much information as they can possibly have, and they also may need to verify that they’ve never represented someone on that list because it could be a conflict of interest.
Tips To Find The Best Lawyer For You
21 million Americans are estimated to have a drug addiction of some kind. It’s theorized that police make more cannabis offense arrests than any other drug, as well. Finding a lawyer that specializes in your type of offense can be hard, but here are some easy tips:
- Check the lawyer’s portfolio. See who and what they’ve dealt with previously.
- Ensure your lawyer will communicate with you in a way that is effective.
- You want a lawyer with experience, not someone who’s newly appointed with a law degree. However, you want to make sure that experience matches your needs.
- Accessibility. This is a huge point, ensure your lawyer is accessible to you. Make sure that they have the time to dedicate to your case.
- Referrals are sometimes important, sometimes you can be referred to a good drug lawyer, and you shouldn’t diss people who have advice on who’s a good lawyer to hire.
What Criminal Defense Lawyers Do
Lawyers who practice criminal defense have a very important job to do. They are to research the details of the arrest, scrutinize evidence, attempt negotiations for deals in your favor, and more. These deals may entail a less severe charge, lowered sentencing, or reduced bail. Due to public pressure and crowded jails, making deals with the prosecution has become a vital element of a drug offender’s case. It is imperative that you have a lawyer who understands the complexity and nuances associated with these types of offenses. Other tasks that a San Francisco, CA drug lawyer can handle include, but are not limited to:
- Question witnesses to collect statements
- Formulate a plea
- Review the prosecutor’s case
- Assess potential repercussions
- Review the officer’s search and seizure procedure
- Gather evidence
We are used to providing legal services where we are both hopeful but honest when handling your case. We will be straight-forward about the risks and potential consequences for your offense, but can work relentlessly on your behalf to help avoid the most severe punishments. Trust us when we say that having a qualified lawyer on your side can prove fruitful to your case.
Why Representing Yourself is a Bad Idea
Some criminal defendants prefer to represent themselves. This choice of whether the defendant is approved to do so will be at the hands of the court judge. A defendant that cannot provide a defense that is competent and within the law may only become a detriment to their own case. Even if the defendant is adamant about not having a lawyer, they may in the end be required to do so. However, there are instances where the judge lets the defendant represent on their own. But, we often strongly discourage doing so as the average person just doesn’t have the knowledge and experience about law that a criminal lawyer does. It may be cheaper to not hire a lawyer, but it’s not worth what it could cost you in the end.
If you were recently arrested for a crime related to illegal drugs, please call a drug lawyer in San Francisco, California at Hallinan Law Firm right away to learn about your rights.